How does LHR work?
Laser Hair Removal is a way of permanently disabling hair follicles so that they don't grow anymore. It does this by sending a concentrated beam of light energy into the follicle, which turns to heat energy, disrupting the way the follicle grows.
Different clinics use different types of lasers, which can work in slightly different ways, but generally the laser targets the melanin pigment in the hair root, which is how it knows where to go. This is why some clinics aren't able to offer laser hair removal to people with darker skin (because darker skin contains more melanin) - luckily at Aesthetic MediSpa we have laser equipment that can be used on any skin tone.
What does this mean for me?
When you come for your treatment, you need to follow a few guidelines to get the most out of your session:
- You'll need a patch test before we can start with your treatments, and we advise waiting for a minimum of 48 hours after the patch test just to be safe
- Don't wax or pluck - the laser targets the hair follicle, and if you wax or pluck your hairs then you won't have any hair follicles for it to work on!
- Do shave - laser isn't like waxing, you don't need to grow your hair for it to work. In fact, you need to shave so that the laser has unobstructed access to your follicles under the skin
- Don't tan - don't go out to the sunbeds or lie in the sun for a couple of weeks before your treatments. This can cause hypopigmentation. But if you have dark skin that holds a tan for a long time, talk to us during your consultation as we can usually still treat you
- Don't expect immediate results - very few people see results immediately, usually it takes a few treatments due to the way our hairs grow (they're not all on the same schedule)
Where can I have Laser Hair Removal?
Apart from around your eyes, you can have laser hair removal pretty much anywhere. Traditional areas like the underarms, legs, and bikini line are popular, but we also see lots of women who want to reduce their arm hair, chin hair, or hairs on the stomach. No matter where you have unwanted hair, we can help you say goodbye to it.
What else do I need to know?
Some people find the process slightly painful, but our high-tech lasers have a range of settings including virtually pain-free treatments. We work with our clients to find the right setting for your comfort level. And, actually, most people find the whole process painless even without using the pain-free setting - the hype is usually much worse than the reality.
After your treatments you should avoid tanning for a few weeks, and definitely avoid waxing, plucking, threading or electrolysis. You can shave between treatments though!