Dermal fillers can be used in a variety of ways and across different areas of the face and body. In this post, our skin doctors here in Rickmansworth will compare different brands of dermal filler, as well as different applications, so you can make a decision about your own treatment.
The first thing to bear in mind with dermal fillers is that there are different areas of the body where they can be used. The main ones are:
- Hands: used to hydrate and plump the skin, to lessen the appearance of veins and tendons. Creates a more youthful look.
- Lips: augments the mouth to create volume, shape and definition. Can also be used to treat lines around the mouth, such as nasolabial (nose-to-mouth) and perioral lines (mouth corner to chin, and top of the lip to bottom of the nose).
- Face: can be used on several areas of the face, including cheeks, hollows, temples, chin, earlobes and more.
Types of dermal filler
There’s a huge variety when it comes to dermal fillers, with specific brands potentially being recommend for specific concerns. Here are three of the
- Hyaluronic acid-based: this natural material is found in the body and helps reduce depressions (scars, lines, injuries) while contouring the skin. Brand names include Juvederm, Restylane and Elevess.
- Polylactic acid-based: this man-made dermal filler stimulates collagen production and is best for thin lips, folds and laughter lines. It's known under the name Sculptra.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite-based: this 'mineral' compound is found naturally in human bones and is recommended for folds, frown lines, fullness and boosting volume. It's known under the name Radiesse.
Why have dermal fillers?
They’re a great way to enhance your appearance and many last between 1-2 years.
Is treatment painful?
No. Many types of dermal filler include a numbing agent to help make the process more comfortable. Very fine needles are also used to help minimise pain.
What is the minimum age for treatment?
We treat men and women aged 18 and over.
Can I reverse my results?
Some types of dermal filler, such as those formed with hyaluronic acid, can be ‘dissolved’ with hyalurondaise. Talk to us if you’re interested in treatment.
Will I need to repeat treatment?
Yes, as results do fade over time.
What else can I try?
You may be offered anti-wrinkle injections. These treat lines and wrinkles differently – instead of ‘filling’ them and plumping skin, they work to prevent motion in the face.
Our skin doctors love to help treat any aesthetics concern here in Rickmansworth. Visit our contact page for all the details.